Let’s face it. Holidays are stressful. No matter how many years of experience we have going through them, no matter how far we plan ahead, and no matter how hard we try to cut back, the stress is there.
But, it doesn’t have to be an all in, freaking out kind of stress. Or a overwhelming, panicking, losing sleep kind of stress.
How about we shoot for the slightly uncomfortable feeling of having a few extra things on our to-do list for a few weeks and leave it at that kind of stress?
The following list may help you do just that. Good luck and happy holidays!
12 Ways to Decrease Holiday Stress
1. Make space for difficult feelings like grief.
2. Create your own holiday traditions.
3. Set realistic expectations for yourself and the holiday.
4. Stick to your self-care routine.
5. Give yourself permission to let it be a normal day.
6. Make a plan and try to stick to it. Staying organized is key.
7. Learn to say ‘no’ without feeling guilty.
8. Shop online and stick to a budget.
9. Set boundaries with family and friends.
10. Avoid excess alcohol.
11. Stay active with exercise.
12. Ask for help.